Sunday, February 28th 2010
After tonight’s broadcast and after looting our hotel mini-bars, we’re going to try to brave the blizzard and fly east to home and hearth, and to do laundry well into next week. Before we leave this thoroughly polite country, the polite thing to do is leave behind a thank-you note.
Thank you, Canada:
For being such good hosts.
For your unfailing courtesy.
For your (mostly) beautiful weather.
For scheduling no more than 60 percent of your float plane departures at the exact moment when I was trying to say something on television.
For not seeming to mind the occasional (or constant) good-natured mimicry of your accents.
For your unique TV commercials — for companies like Tim Hortons — which made us laugh and cry.
For securing this massive event without choking security, and without publicly displaying a single automatic weapon.
For having the best garment design and logo-wear of the games — you’ve made wearing your name a cool thing to do.
For the sportsmanship we saw most of your athletes display.
For not honking your horns. I didn’t hear one car horn in 15 days — which also means none of my fellow New Yorkers rented cars while visiting.
For making us aware of how many of you have been watching NBC all these years.
For having the good taste to have an anchorman named Brian Williams on your CTV network, who turns out to be such a nice guy.
For the body scans at the airport which make pat-downs and cavity searches unnecessary.
For designing those really cool LED Olympic rings in the harbor, which turned to gold when your athletes won one.
For always saying nice things about the United States…when you know we’re listening.
For sharing Joannie Rochette with us.
For reminding some of us we used to be a more civil society.
Mostly, for welcoming the world with such ease and making lasting friends with all of us.
- zombiescarlettohara likes this
- morecoffee likes this
- myownmelt likes this
- shesnosaint likes this
- summercrush reblogged this from suicideblonde
- mohamedn likes this
- do-nothing reblogged this from suicideblonde
- fttbb reblogged this from randomefforts
- piecesofjen likes this
- thetruthuncut likes this
- kristaskene reblogged this from suicideblonde
- shawnainwonderland reblogged this from suicideblonde
- krysjill likes this
- kathlyn reblogged this from suicideblonde
- visceralconnection likes this
- theloveumake reblogged this from bohemea
- jperezzz reblogged this from moderninsight and added:
- kayebaylon likes this
- sssakuras likes this
- becauseicecreamhasnobones likes this
- moderninsight reblogged this from bohemea
- megaantron likes this
- gloriouss reblogged this from slaughterhousefive
- toothyhellbeast likes this
- lanii likes this
- rebekahrego likes this
- nevillegonnagiveyouup likes this
- liveitout likes this
- thatsnowsuitsound likes this
- slaughterhousefive likes this
- nikariot likes this
- missdeets likes this
- justzippy reblogged this from kateskute
- justzippy likes this
- whuphf likes this
- copper-boom reblogged this from sashya-k
- livingwithintention reblogged this from leadencirclesdissolve and added:
- marees likes this
- lapetitefigue likes this
- wjbf reblogged this from suicideblonde
- llbwwb likes this
- sewrandom reblogged this from bpage and added:
- arthurscott likes this
- chaterine likes this
- robotsalsa likes this
- kaaatttsss reblogged this from leadencirclesdissolve
- basquavita likes this
- afternoonmilktea likes this
- snakebelly likes this